(M: 25 Jumbo)
Everyone loves my Macaroons, so I bake a lot and give out a lot. These macaroons are baked first at a lower temperature, then with higher temperature to puff and brown them lightly. To make Chocolate covered, just dip them in the melted chocolate and let them dry.
Ingredients: 2 bags 14 oz. (396G) each, angel flake sweetened coconut; ½ cup white cake mix (or ½ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ tsp. baking powder and ¼ cup sugar); 2 extra large egg whites or 3 large egg whites; 1 can 14 oz. (396g) sweetened condensed milk.
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites, add the condensed milk, whisk well, add the cake mix and whisk well. Add 1 bag of coconut at a time and mix well, by hand, with a fork.
- Prepare two large trays with at least 1-inch sides (12x18x1 inches); first line the trays with aluminum foil, then with parchment paper or two layers of parchment papers, and lightly grease the paper with oil or butter.
- Fill a regular size ice cream scoop with the mixture and neatly press in the mixture all around the edges, then pack the mixture neatly and drop on to the tray about 1 inch apart. When done, shape the macaroons with lightly wet fingers. Chill the macaroon trays for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Bake one tray at a time on the middle self. Bake macaroons for 10 minutes at 350 degrees and about 8-10 minutes then at 450 degrees for 3-4 minutes or until light brown.
- Take the trays out of the oven, wait 5 minutes and then take the macaroons out with a spatula, turn them over and cool on a wire rack or over the counter on the kitchen towel. Serve them with the tea or coffee.
- When cooled completely (after a few hours), store them in a large glass jar, cover with paper towels or in a plastic bag lined with the paper towels. They freeze well, so freeze the plastic bag inside a plastic container up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and serve.